[Edling] Now AI can write students’ essays for them, will everyone become a cheat?

Margaret van Naerssen via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Sun Dec 4 01:48:53 UTC 2022

Francis, thanks so much for the link to the plagiarism article.
Whoa--Guess I'm glad I'm not teaching a course involving writing now.
Margaret van Naerssen

On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 6:52 AM Francis M. Hult via Edling <
edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu> wrote:

> The Guardian
>
> Now AI can write students’ essays for them, will everyone become a cheat?
>
> Parents and teachers across the world are rejoicing as students have
> returned to classrooms. But unbeknownst to them, an unexpected insidious
> academic threat is on the scene: a revolution in artificial intelligence
> has created powerful new automatic writing tools. These are machines
> optimised for cheating on school and university papers, a potential siren
> song for students that is difficult, if not outright impossible, to catch.
>
> Full story:
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/28/ai-students-essays-cheat-teachers-plagiarism-tech

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any
unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication is prohibited. If you
believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete it from your system.