[Edling] Bernard Spolsky

Bahar Otcu-Grillman via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:55:07 UTC 2022

Dear Edling Community,

We are deeply saddened by the passing of Prof. Bernard Spolsky. We had met him many years ago as doctoral candidates when he gave a guest lecture at Ofelia Garcia’s classroom at Teachers College, NY. One of his last contributions has been to our co-edited collective volume honoring the work of Ofelia Garcia, titled Remaking Multilingualism: A Translanguaging Approach<https://www.multilingual-matters.com/page/detail/?K=9781800410831>.

Prof. Spolsky was a delight to work with. He not only agreed to write our Foreword right away, but also wrote his piece quickly and meticulously. Through his eyes, we saw our doctoral mentor Ofelia Garcia’s versatility and her work in better depth. This was the beauty of working with Prof. Spolsky. He did not hesitate to honor his friend and colleague and happily wrote his tribute. We have been lucky to work with him and will always remember him with awe and respect. Thanks for creating this thread in honor of Prof. Spolsky. We extend our condolences to the entire linguistic community.

Best regards,

Bahar Otcu-Grillman and Maryam Borjian

Bahar Otcu-Grillman, Professor
CR-ITI ESOL Program Director