[Edling] Share Your Memories of Bernard Spolsky

Bahar Otcu-Grillman via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Wed Nov 9 19:34:59 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

We are deeply saddened by the passing of Prof. Bernard Spolsky. We had met
him many years ago as doctoral candidates when he gave a guest lecture at
Ofelia Garcia’s classroom at Teachers College, NY. One of his last
contributions has been to our co-edited collective volume honoring the work
of Ofelia Garcia, titled Remaking Multilingualism: A Translanguaging
Approach <https://www.multilingual-matters.com/page/detail/?K=9781800410831>
.

Prof. Spolsky was a delight to work with. He not only agreed to write our
Foreword right away, but also wrote his piece quickly and meticulously.
Through his eyes, we saw our doctoral mentor Ofelia Garcia’s versatility
and her work in better depth. This was the beauty of working with Prof.
Spolsky. He did not hesitate to honor his friend and colleague and happily
wrote his tribute. We have been lucky to work with him and will always
remember him with awe and respect. Thanks for creating this thread in honor
of Prof. Spolsky. We extend our condolences to the entire linguistic
community.

Best regards,

Bahar Otcu-Grillman and Maryam Borjian