[Edling] Call for study participants

Valentina Vinokurova via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Mon Oct 3 18:31:55 UTC 2022

Hi,

My name is Valentina Vinokurova, and I am a Ph.D. candidate in Second
Language Acquisition and Teaching at the University of Arizona. For my
dissertation, I am conducting a research study on the use of
service-provider virtual exchange platforms (e.g., LinguaMeeting,
Boomalang, Conversifi, and TalkAbroad), and I am seeking participants and I
hope you can help.

This study aims to better understand who uses these platforms and in what
educational context, how the pandemic affected the use of these platforms,
what teachers see as the main benefits of such services, how they design
tasks for conversation sessions and how they assess student participation.

The global pandemic has accelerated the trend to provide language education
in fully online and hybrid modalities, thereby making the services
connecting language learners to native speakers more attractive and useful.
This study can increase the visibility of the services that allow teachers
to do that as well as provide a platform for sharing best practices and
understanding teacher perceptions of this practice.

Would you like to help? Eligible participants will be K-16 language
educators in the US and will currently use or have used service-provider
virtual exchange platforms (such as LinguaMeeting, Boomalang, Conversifi,
and TalkAbroad). Your participation will consist of filling out an
anonymous online survey which should take no more than 30 minutes to
complete. If you are a qualified participant and are interested in helping
me with my data collection, click on this link (
https://uarizona.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1LEcssVgRoPFonc) to take the
Qualtrics survey.

An Institutional Review Board responsible for human subjects research at
The University of Arizona reviewed this research project and found it to be
acceptable, according to applicable state and federal regulations and
University policies designed to protect the rights and welfare of
participants in research.

Please let me know if you have any questions at vvinokurova at arizona.edu.
Thank you for your time!

Best,

Valentina Vinokurova

Ph.D. Candidate in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching

University of Arizona