[Edling] The New “Science of Reading” Movement, Explained

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Wed Aug 16 23:17:18 UTC 2023

Vox

The new “science of reading” movement, explained

Since 2019, 45 states and Washington, DC, have passed at least one bill
related to reforming reading instruction. The new rules apply to areas like
school curriculum, professional development for teachers, screenings for
dyslexic students, and requirements for testing. New York City — the
largest public school system in the nation — has also ordered change for
its 700 elementary schools.

These new policies — met with a mix of excitement and skepticism — are
typically accompanied by bold promises. “These changes to our education
system will actually educate our kids better in the future than we did
before the pandemic,” Tennessee’s Republican Gov. Bill Lee declared. “This
is the beginning of a massive turnaround,” said the New York City Schools
chancellor.

Full story:
https://www.vox.com/23815311/science-of-reading-movement-literacy-learning-loss