[Edling] on Plain language & DEI

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Sun Oct 15 14:26:51 UTC 2023

Hi Shawna,

Thanks for sharing this piece.  I enjoyed reading it.  I've been following
the Plain Language (*klarspråk*) movement in Sweden so it's a topic
of interest to me from a language policy and planning perspective.

In the piece, you mention the prescriptivist tension and attempts to
mitigate this.  I'm wondering if you could say a bit more about how
Plain Language scholars engage with the potential for application to take a
prescriptivist turn.  In Sweden, my sense is that the Plain Language
movement has leaned towards verbal hygiene
<https://www.routledge.com/Verbal-Hygiene/Cameron/p/book/9780415696005>,
but perhaps that is influenced by dominant ideologies of normativity in
Sweden.

Best,
Francis

--
*Francis M. Hult, PhD, FRGS* | Professor
Department of Education

Editor, Educational Linguistics Book Series
<https://www.springer.com/series/5894>
Co-Editor, Contributions to the Sociology of Language Book Series
<https://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/16644>

Web Profile <https://education.umbc.edu/faculty-list/francis-m-hult/> |
Academia.edu <http://umbc.academia.edu/FrancisMHult> | Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2x7pOMwAAAAJ&h> | TESOL at UMBC