[Edling] CFP: Generative AI and L2 writing

Wang Chaoran via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:37:28 UTC 2023

Hi all,

We are excited to share the call for proposal for the Journal of Second Language Writing 2024/25 special issue on Generative AI and L2 Writing. You can find the full call below and on the JSLW website: https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/journal-of-second-language-writing/about/call-for-papers#jslw-2024-25-special-issue.

If you are working on this topic, consider submitting an abstract. Please share it widely with colleagues who might be interested. Let us know if you have any questions!

Best,
Chaoran, Zhongfeng, & Sidury

JSLW 2024/25 Special Issue
We are seeking proposals for the Journal of Second Language Writing 2024/25 special issue on generative artificial intelligence (GAI) and L2 writing.

Guest editors:

Chaoran Wang (Colby College)

Zhongfeng Tian (Rutgers University–Newark)

Martha Sidury Christiansen (The University of Texas at San Antonio)

Special issue information:

We are seeking proposals for the Journal of Second Language Writing 2024/25 special issue on generative artificial intelligence (GAI) and L2 writing. As a game changer in the evolution of AI tools, the release of ChatGPT in November 2022 has injected a sense of urgency into the discussions about the influences of GAI on L2 writing and pedagogy (Yan, 2023). On the one hand, the new advancements of GAI, characterized by its sophistication, popularity, easy access, and multilingual and multimodal affordances, may introduce new opportunities for L2 writing. On the other, L2 writing teachers and scholars also express various concerns about issues such as learning loss, academic integrity, plagiarism, biases, and ethics when GAI is integrated into writing (Barrot, 2023; Casal & Kessler, 2023).

As GAI technologies continue to advance and become more widely available, it is imperative for L2 writing scholars to critically investigate the unprecedented opportunities and challenges that large language models and GAI present to L2 writing and writing instruction. To shed light on GAI integration into L2 writing teaching and learning as well as GAI oriented L2 writing research, we invite submissions from various perspectives, theoretical traditions, methodological approaches, and across different settings. To provide insights into this emergent conversation and reimagine the future of L2 writing in an age of GAI, we welcome topics including but not limited to the following:

Designing and integrating GAI tools in L2 writing, writing instruction, assessment, and feedback practices;
The changing construct of writing in an age of GAI and how it influences L2 writing assessment;
Teacher and student engagement with GAI in L2 writing classrooms including their perceptions, beliefs, attitudes, emotions, practices, and experiences;
GAI and L2 multimodal composing;
Ethical and responsible use of GAI in L2 writing and relevant policies and guidelines;
Critical AI literacy among L2 writing teachers and students;
Human-GAI collaboration in L2 writing from critical lenses;
GAI, linguistic diversity, and L2 writers;
GAI and L2 writing in underrepresented contexts (e.g., middle/secondary school contexts, informal learning settings, professional settings and workplaces, social media platforms);
GAI and L2 writing in languages other than English.
We accept submissions for Full-Length Articles, Short Communication, and Forum Pieces. We invite empirical research studies from various perspectives, theoretical traditions, and methodological approaches. We also welcome conceptual pieces and interdisciplinary dialogues that draw on multi-disciplinary perspectives (e.g., education, psychology, media studies, applied linguistics, computational linguistics) that integrate and bridge theories to deepen our understanding of GAI in L2 writing. Contributions from all regions around the world in various contexts (especially underrepresented contexts) are encouraged.

Please send a 500-word abstract that describes the type of submission you are planning. Include details of each author’s name, affiliation, and contact information. If your abstract is accepted, we will invite you to submit the full manuscript for possible inclusion in the special issue.

Manuscript submission information:

Abstracts should be submitted by December 1, 2023 via email to the guest editors.
Authors invited to submit papers will be notified by January 1, 2024.
Full manuscripts should be submitted by June 1, 2024.
Review results will be returned by September 15, 2024.
Revised paper to be submitted: November 1, 2024
Authors will be contacted for final changes of the papers: January 15, 2025
Final manuscript submission will be due February 1, 2025.
Please send your abstract and inquiries to the guest editors at JSLW2024SI at gmail.com <mailto:JSLW2024SI at gmail.com>. For detailed guidelines on manuscript preparation, please consult the “Guide for Authors”.