[Edling] ‘I couldn’t believe the data’: how thinking in a foreign language improves decision-making

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Sep 19 21:32:29 UTC 2023

The Guardian

‘I couldn’t believe the data’: how thinking in a foreign language improves
decision-making

Over the past decade, psychologists have become increasingly interested in
using such mental metamorphoses. Besides altering the quality of our
memories, switching between languages can influence people’s financial
decision-making and their appraisal of moral dilemmas. By speaking a second
language, we can even become more rational, more open-minded and better
equipped to deal with uncertainty. This phenomenon is known as the “foreign
language effect” and the benefits may be an inspiration for anyone who
would like to enrich their mind with the words of another tongue.

Full story:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/sep/17/how-learning-thinking-in-a-foreign-language-improves-decision-making