Appeal from Finno-Ugrists in Helsinki

Johanna Laakso jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Apr 17 09:05:11 UTC 1996

		Helsinki, 16.4.1996

Dear colleagues

As you may know Raija Bartens Professor Ordinarius of Finno-Ugrian
Linguistics at Helsinki University is due for retirement in the near
future. The university and the Faculty of Humanities have decided to
change some offices of professor into "a removable and periodic post".
The Faculty of Humanities is now planning to change the professor's
office of Finno-Ugrian Linguistics into "a removable and periodic post".

The office is more than 100 years old and we, at our Department, consider
this position an internationally important one. Changed into "a removable
and periodic post" would mean there would be no guarantee for the
continuation of the professorship at the termination of the five-year
period. After five years the professorship could simply be removed to
another field! The Department of Finno-Ugrian Linguistics has argued
against this plan, but until now despite our efforts it seems unlikely
that any changes to this arrangement will be maid (see enclosure). This
proposal concerning the future of the professorship will be presented by
the Faculty of Humanities and the final decision will be made by the
Rector of the University.

Dear colleagues, we now ask you to support our efforts to maintain the
office of Professor Ordinarius office of Finno-Ugrian linguistics at
Helsinki University. We invite you to send your opinion in writing (an
express letter is desirable) to the Faculty of Humanities (Humanistinen
tiedekunta, PL 3 (Fabianinkatu 33), FIN-00014 Helsingin yliopisto, Finland;
the e-mail address of secretary of Department Leena Barros is:
leena.barros at helsinki.fi). We would also be grateful if you could send a
copy of it to our Department (Suomalais-ugrilainen laitos, Castrenianum,
PL 3 (Fabianinkatu 33), FIN-00014 Helsingin yliopisto; telefax
+358-(9)0-191 23329; the administrator of our Department is Katariina
Grämer, e-mail: gramer at cc.helsinki.fi). Thank you!

On behalf of the Department of Finno-Ugrian studies (University of Helsinki)

Seppo Suhonen			Raija Bartens
Professor of Finnic languages	Professor of Finno-Ugrian linguistics
Chairman of the Department of Finno-Ugrian Studies