h.kammler biographical details

kammler at stud.uni-frankfurt.de kammler at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Dec 4 11:51:24 UTC 1996

Fields of Interest:
1) Currently working on Nuuchaan'ul ("Nootka" on Vancouver Island, B.C.,
Canada), especially on how that 1st Nation community exeriences the aftermath
of
the Residential School system, i.e. loss of language and cultural identity and
efforts to save what could be saved at this late point. Also: intercultural
communication and development of curriculum materials for adult learners,
simultaneously working on the grammatical description of that fairly
negelected
language. I'm very interested in exchanging ideas and experiences with other
linguists/sociologists/ethnologists working with Native communities whose
language is in that late state of displacement (out of an ethnic population of
appr. 5,000 no more that 150 are fluent in three main dialects, almost all
over
60 years of age). I'm a member of the "Working Group On Nuuchaan'ul", founded
by
Harald Vajkonny, Heike Spreitzer and myself in Feb. 96. We stress the
cooperation with other scholars and the 1st Nation persons themselves,
introducing some of them to methods of linguistic fieldwork.
2)  Nahuatl language, especially the Alto-Balsas dialect in Guerrero, Mexico.
Relations between the Nahuas and non-Indmgenas in that region, questions of
ethnic and linguistic identity (some of the villages show a very high esteem
of
the Native Language while others do not and shifted to Spanish in bringing up
their children only recently). Did some fieldwork there in 1995. I'm also
interested in general issues of language policies and language rights in
Mexico.
NEECHINIHKWILOKAN AMATSITSINTE IKA MEJIKANO TLAA NANKAKTOKEH ININ TLATOHLI, KA
DIOOS.
3)  Siouan linguistics, especially Winnebago (Hocangra).
4)  Algonkian linguistics, especially Delaware dialects. (Any recent text
material available in either dialect ???)
5)  General interest in issues of language & identity, language loss, language
maintenance, language rights, especially in the Americas.

Have there any criteria for "endangeredness" of languages been agreed upon in
this ELL?

Looking forward to "hearing" from you all.
Henry
----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au