criteria for endangerment

nancy lutz nlutz at siue.edu
Thu Dec 5 14:58:22 UTC 1996

Dear All,
     I heartily second Nicholas Ostler's discussion! Having just
     finished a unit on Endangered Languages in my (Anthropology)
     Language and Culture course, I couldn't agree more. And I think this
     really points up how both linguists and anthropologists can and
     should work together on this issue. The social factors alone don't
     predict/explain language use, nor do the structural features of the
     languages at issue, or even knowledge of some of the bilingual/
     multilingual dynamics in an area. You really do have to look at both
     of these sides together. Too bad we can't have more actual collaborative
     projects between linguists and anthropologists tackling some of these
     issues -- it would certainly provide a depth that neither side alone
     can do. Maybe this would also be a good topic for a symposium panel
     somewhere? If there have been good examples that could serve as models,
     etc. Or maybe to encourage such research? I know that AAA (American
     Anthropological Association) would be open to such a panel, maybe other
     conference fora would be as well. Discussion and suggestions welcome!

     Best,
     Nancy

     ----
     Endangered-Languages-L Forum: