consultant compensation

Eric M. Kapono erick at hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 20 21:04:24 UTC 1996

I have read with interest the responses to Robin Sabino's request for
guidelines in paying native language consultants and I believe there is a
point that needs to mentioned here.

Consultants of varying backgrounds (education consultancy, planning
consultancy, legal consultancy, etc.) -- respected in their field of
expertise and bringing many years of experience to the job -- might charge a
non-profit organization, say, $100/hour or $250/day.  Yet, in responses I've
read thus far, native speaking consulants of endangered languages are
compared to private language tutors or "show-and-tell" informants for
undergraduate courses.

If you have found an individual you know to have broad knowledge of his or
her native language and culture, is a native speaker him/herself, has
respect amongst his/her own, and can provide language insight that _so few_
others can, why is this level of expertise not compensated accordingly?

If one is researching Native American languages, the truly insightful
individuals with a firm grasp of the breadth, depth and magnitude of their
language may be very few and very far between.  Recognize this person's
level of knowledge like any other.  If money is the means, then pay up.

>I'm preparing a grant to do descriptive work on an endangered (not yet
>moribund) Native American language and would like some input on what
>others are paying native language consultants.
>
>Thanks for your assistance.
>
>Robin Sabino
>Auburn University

Eric M. Kapono
Development Officer
`Aha Pünana Leo, Inc. <Hawaiian language immersion programs>
319 Haili Street
Hilo, Hawai`i  96720-2500
TEL: (808)935-1226
FAX: (808)969-3358
erick at hawaii.edu
*I Ka `Ölelo Nö Ke Ola, I Ka `Ölelo Nö Ka Make*