Lost Language Day Call for Interest

Dave Wells wellsd at elwha.evergreen.edu
Mon Jul 15 08:31:57 UTC 1996

I have missed a lot of the discussion and dialogue regarding the Lost
Language Day (I wrote the obit for Oliver Mason/Quinault).

I do think that we can do much to bring awareness to others outside this
group; and perhaps that is a move we can all do.  Often I think we are
talking quietly in a great storm: few can hear.

I have talked with one of the Quinault elders who has expressed concern
that there is little being done to work with those few remaining elders
and what little remains.

It is unfortunate that often those whose responsiblity it is to conserve
and maintain such living resources often have their own agendas and
paper-shuffling as priorities.  It is also unfortunate that so many
people have embraced self over community and greed over honour.  The
civilising effects of culture attempt to bring us to a social level where
we can all survive together (and hopefully in harmony with the natural
world) and to 'lift' us from the those competitive, selfish traits that
are so much a part of human nature.

I do have to say that there has been a surprising and good-heart response
here.  In the end there are those who are dedicated and who do what they
can to prevent the lost of knowledge and wisdom that we have inherited.
If we are too busy to savour the flowers of knowledge that adorn our
life's path, we have have missed the beauty that is before us.  Let us
put our work and efforts in those directions where we can be most effective.

I do thank all those who have written to me (and continue to write).  I
have received messages from around the world (including Sweden's
statsminister).  They have all been appreciated and passed on to Oliver
Mason's family.

Thank you.
Dave Wells
Olympia WA USA