More on Quechua language

T.Matthew Ciolek tmciolek at coombs.anu.edu.au
Thu May 2 00:10:52 UTC 1996

--------------- forwarded message ----------------
Hello!
This is an addition to my mail about the Quechua language.

With respect to what we were told at our Quechua anniversary meeting
in Bonn about the plan to forbid the Quechua language in Peru I have
just had a reliable message from a colleague in Cuzco who says that
the following happened: Some people in Cuzco presented a project for a
law that would have made the teaching of Quechua obligatory in the
whole of Peru. This project was not supported by Parliament. On the
other hand, this year a programme for training teachers in intercultural
bilingual education has been initiated on the national level.

- So, things have turned out not as bad as one might have feared.
Sabine Dedenbach-Salazar
dedenbac at voelk.uni-bonn.de