Lost Language Day?

T.Matthew Ciolek tmciolek at coombs.anu.edu.au
Mon May 20 06:59:01 UTC 1996

--------------- forwarded message ------------------------

BOUNCE endangered-languages-l: Non-member submission from ["H.-J. Sasse" <Hj.Sasse at Uni-Koeln.DE>

Establishing a "Lost Language Day" is not a bad idea. I hereby offer
support from the German "Committee on Endangered Languages" whose
spokesman I am. We cannot promise any financial support but we could
perhaps help in distributing info in Germany and neighboring countries.
We will discuss this in our next meeting. I only suggest to replace
"read" in the headline of your poster with something else, "hear" for
instance. This comes closer to reality. In fact you can read written
words over and over again but you cannot hear them any longer spoken by a
living native speaker.
H.J.Sasse