Fieldwork today

Andy Hickl afhickl at owlnet.rice.edu
Mon Feb 3 22:09:35 UTC 1997

Being one of those undergraduates who has fallen in love with field work,
I've read the last few posts with more than a little ice in my veins.

An undergraduate education (especially one in linguistics) can tend to be
"book heavy", all too often dealing more with sanitized data sets and
disembodied universals rather than with actual language.  Granted, I've
been raised a good functionalist here at Rice, but, for me, field work
was (and continues) to be this limitless joy--a time where you
can explore all that you've learned and seamlessly go beyond.

I am going to try to go into this with my eyes as open as possible.  I've
heard your fears--what advice can you give someone who is considering a
career (or at least a part of a career) in this kind of work?

I do appreciate any help that you may be able to offer me.

Sincerely,

	Andy Hickl

	Andrew Francis Hickl
	Rice University
	Hanszen College 216
	6350 South Main Street
	Houston, Texas  77005-1888
	(713) 630-8256
	RESUME: http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~afhickl/resume.html

	Endangered-Languages-L Forum:
	endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
	Subscribe/unsubscribe and other commands:
	majordomo at carmen.murdoch.edu.au