I say... and punto final.

Diego Quesada dquesada at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 8 02:58:12 UTC 1997

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Neil Alasdair McEwan wrote:

> So
> again, what would be the difference between an immigrant to the Highlands
> learning Gaelic and an immigrant to New Zealand learning Maori?  I ask
> the question because someone else rather disturbingly suggested that it
> is OK for non-Europeans to do whatever they want to defend their
> cultures -- even to the point of shutting out outsiders -- but not for
> Europeans.  As someone trying to reclaim his endangered but undoubtedly
> European language and culture, I can't agree with this double-standard for
> obvious reasons.

  I want to get my point straight in order to avoid sterile
  'you-said-that-I-said-that-he-said-that-you-had-said'-style rhetoric.

  							      I think Peter
  							      Keegan's point
  							      was aggressively
  							      received (I
  							      suspect
							      why, but won't
  							      go into that)
  							      and that some of
  							      the participants
  							      here simply
							      could not accept
  							      that someone
  							      from an
  							      endengered
  							      language/culture
  							      stands
							      up and says
  							      "hands-off our
  							      culture". While
  							      we may not like
  							      this, we are
							      blound to
  							      respect that
  							      decision. That's
  							      all I wanted to
  							      say. Now, since
							      the target of
  							      this dislike was
  							      a decision on
  							      x-issue of
  							      culture (it
							      happened to be
  							      our daily bread
  							      and fun, but it
  							      could have been
  							      fashion,
							      food, que se yo)
  							      from a
  							      non-European
  							      group basically
  							      toward outsiders
							      (let's face it:
  							      most being
  							      European-descent),
  							      I simply gave an
  							      inverse
							      example. I never
  							      said it was OK
  							      or anything like
  							      that, as I
  							      (perhaps
							      deliberately)
  							      misquoted. I
  							      implied that
  							      just as that
  							      attitude is
  							      respected
							      and no German
  							      has been asked
  							      to justify that
  							      (even under
  							      dictionary
							      definitions),
  							      the same should
  							      hold for the
  							      Maoris. That's
  							      all; if that is
							      taken to be
  							      disturbing,
  							      maybe the fact
  							      that it rains in
  							      the summer, or
							      that it snows in
  							      the winter might
  							      also be
  							      disturbing...

							      But my point was
							      elegantly
							      synthesized by

							       Rob Pensalfini,
							       who wrote:

							       > > Let me make
                                                                   an analogy
                                                                   religion. Does
                                                                   it follow
                                                                   from the
                                                                   above that
								   > > native
                                                                   American's
                                                                   conversion
                                                                   Christianity
                                                                   and a white
                                                                   person's

                                                                   conversion
                                                                   shamanism
                                                                   are equally
                                                                   acceptable
                                                                   (and no, I
                                                                   don't mean
								   > > imply
                                                                   that all
                                                                   native
                                                                   Americans
                                                                   are
                                                                   shamans)?
                                                                   In the
                                                                   former case
                                                                   we are
								   > > dealing
                                                                   with the
                                                                   conversion
                                                                   of a member
                                                                   of a
                                                                   colonised
                                                                   people to
                                                                   the

                                                                   dominant
                                                                   religion, a
                                                                   religion
                                                                   whose very
                                                                   aim is to
                                                                   acquire
                                                                   converts
                                                                   from
								   > > all
                                                                   cultures. In
                                                                   the latter
                                                                   case, at
                                                                   least when
                                                                   it involves
                                                                   New Age

                                                                   variants
                                                                   such as
                                                                   sweat lodge
                                                                   or drum
                                                                   circle
                                                                   operators
                                                                   or
                                                                   channellers,
								   > > think
                                                                   we would
                                                                   all agree
                                                                   we are
                                                                   dealing
                                                                   with
                                                                   appropriation
                                                                   of beliefs,

                                                                   behaviours
                                                                   or
                                                                   knowledge
                                                                   that were
                                                                   not
                                                                   necessarily
                                                                   intended
                                                                   for
                                                                   widespread
								   > > public
                                                                   (or
                                                                   cross-cultural)
                                                                   'consumption'. The
                                                                   lack of
                                                                   parallellism
                                                                   becomes
								   > > clearer
                                                                   in cases
                                                                   where
                                                                   sacred/secret
                                                                   knowledge
                                                                   is divulged
                                                                   in the
                                                                   interests
								   > > of
                                                                   'enlightenment'
                                                                   (e.g.:
                                                                   Marlo
                                                                   Morgan's
                                                                   "Mutant
                                                                   Mess
                                                                   Downunder").

								   > > And
                                                                   before
                                                                   anyone
                                                                   suggests
                                                                   that this
                                                                   has nothing
                                                                   to do with
                                                                   endangered

                                                                   languages,
                                                                   it would be
                                                                   wise to
                                                                   note that
                                                                   language
                                                                   endangerment
                                                                   is always
								   > > (?)
                                                                   accompanied
                                                                   by
                                                                   socio-economic
                                                                   donimation
                                                                   and, in
                                                                   turn,
                                                                   ethnic or

                                                                   cultural
                                                                   endagerment.

Rob definitely hit the nail on the head. This is why some of the
comments made on this list this week in reference to Keegan's stand strike
me as rather cynical, namely "you can always say no". In vertical power
relations this is illusory. While linguist a, or y, or z, and perhaps all
field workers have no ill intentions toward the endangered groups we work
with, it is far beyond reasonable doubt that the historical context in
which field work has taken place has been one of dominance (for
ill-sighted: this is where world politics intersects with language/culture
endangerment). The pioneers of field work were who? No more and no less
than missionaires, and missionary work in general only occurs in vertical
power relations: have you ever seen a Hixkaryana speaker coming to New
York City to shamanize the natives? The rationale behind missionary work
is that "my religion (and all it stands for as well as all that stand
behind it) are superior to you(rs), and thus I come here to
invite/ask/force/coerce -as the need dictates- to give all that
uncivilized way of life and adopt mine". Again that only happens in
vertical relations.

What I mean is that although we as field
workers may develop a certain affection toward the groups we work with, in
most cases our work takes place in a context of domination: again, no
Bribri linguist (or language fan) comes to Paris and talks to the City
Chief so he can get help in getting some informants. It is that system of
domination that makes possible that we go to "the field". Why blind
ourselves to that?
Finally, for those who choose the easy way out of saying "simply
say no", it is more than clear that the Maori concept of birthright
***IS*** their way of saying no. Let's respect that, and that respect can
be shown by refraining from asking rather arrogantly "hey, why do you
think so?!" as if culture should be justified.

Cambio y fuera

DQ.

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au