indigenous groups

Victor Golla vkgolla at ucdavis.edu
Sun Feb 9 21:53:06 UTC 1997

[NOTE:  The posting of the following message was delayed a couple of
days, owing to a technical glitch.--VG]

2/7/97

Dear Endangered Languages people:

Am I the only one who is tired of hearing how "communities" and
"cultures" do this or that?  These are constructs useful to sociol
and anthropological discussion, not objective reality.  Mark Line,
for eaxmple, writes:

> The difference is: the Scots don't mind, but the Maori do.

But not all Scots don't, nor Maoris do.  What about the dissidents?
Are they any less "Scot" or "Maori"?  (Remember Two Crows, anybody?)

> the issue here has to do with the Maori's culturally dependent point
> of view about non-Maori activities

There is no "Maori" point of view.  There are points of view associated
with individuals who designate themselves Maori.  These differ and
change.

> I will accept the fact that the Maori themselves have taken the
> conscious action of placing themselves in charge of their own language

Unless he is discussing a formally structured government or association
 -- maybe he is -- "the Maori" do not constitute a discrete entity.  And
 even were a formalized "Maori" body to exist, it is not easy to imagine
 it "taking charge" of language -- of what is essentially one-on-one
 interaction.  (Shades of the Iowa anti-German laws!)

 Human beings seem to be cognitively hard-wired to readily believe in
 the objective existence of social groups, in their internal homogeneity,
 and in their sharp boundedness.  But social reality is not this simple,
 and we do not further the understanding of language decline and
 replacement by summoning up comfortable but misleading myths.

 --Victor Golla
   Anthropology, UC-Davis

   ----
   Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au