ELL: spam and conviction

Tom McClive mcclive at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Apr 1 16:34:44 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:34:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Tom McClive <mcclive at acsu.buffalo.edu>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: ELL: spam and conviction
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

i'm not sure we should put the content of matthew's post to a vote,
but i wanted to weigh in with a content opinion.

i considered the "boycott" message completely superfluous and almost wrote
in myself to say so.  but in a larger sense, i think we are looking at
the line between the situation of minority languages and the situation of
minority people.  the two are connected yes, inseparable really, but i
don't think we can handle discussing all the misdeeds against minority
groups.

perhaps the current bedlam developed because of the narrow focus involved.
the right of a language group to view jesus from the context of their own
culture, the choice of a few words in a movie, is very specific indeed.
if this incident is representative of a larger issue (and i certainly
suspect that it is), then let's move to that.

my own work had been on the celtic languages, particularly welsh and
cornish.  both of these peoples are underrepresented within their large
political entity and have a long history of being repressed.  most, if not
all, case studies of endangered languages involve some sort of repression
or heavy influence from a majority language-speaking group.  but i hardly
think that endangered-languages-l is the place for me to promote
cymdeithas yr iaith gymraeg (the welsh language society, just to name one
example), or to gripe about british internal colonialism.

i think our list is in serious danger of turning into akha-l, but the rest
of the reason lies with us.  there are very few other discussions here.
let's move on.

tom mcclive
mcclive at acsu.buffalo.edu
state university of new york at buffalo