ELL: RE: spam and conviction

David Harris dharris at las-inc.com
Thu Apr 1 19:49:13 UTC 1999

	      *** EOOH ***
	      From: "David Harris" <dharris at las-inc.com>
	      To: <endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au>
	      Subject: ELL: RE: spam and conviction
	      Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:49:13 -0500
	      Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

	      /my own work had been on the celtic languages, particularly
	      welsh and
	      /cornish.  both of these peoples are underrepresented within
	      their large
	      /political entity and have a long history of being repressed.
	      most, if not
	      /all, case studies of endangered languages involve some sort of
	      repression
	      /or heavy influence from a majority language-speaking group.
	      but i hardly
	      /think that endangered-languages-l is the place for me to
	      promote
	      /cymdeithas yr iaith gymraeg (the welsh language society, just
	      to name one
	      /example), or to gripe about british internal colonialism.

	      I, for one, would be interested in hearing about the Welsh
	      Language Society.
	      Why do you feel this is an inappropriate forum? I'd also be
	      interested in
	      hearing about the situation in the Euskara communities in France
	      and Spain,
	      the Euchee project going on in Oklahoma, Hawaiian-speaking
	      communities on
	      the Big Island, etc. If Matthew is monopolizing the list, it's
	      not his
	      fault. Others involved in this work elsewhere in the world
	      should take his
	      initiative and get some information out on this list.

	      Seriously, I think Matthew is right. What is the point of all
	      the billions
	      of dollars spent on academic  research if we are going to insist
	      that it
	      remain quarantined from the real world? I think this list is a
	      good place
	      for academic-oriented folks to interact with those out in the
	      field. How
	      else is this going to happen? And why would you think that this
	      would be a
	      bad thing? I'm afraid I don't understand.

	      David Harris
	      Washington, DC

	      ----
	      Endangered-Languages-L Forum:
	      endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
	      Web pages
	      http://carmen.murdoch.edu.au/lists/endangered-languages-l/
	      Subscribe/unsubscribe and other commands:
	      majordomo at carmen.murdoch.edu.au