ELL: The Welsh Language Society (long)

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Sun Apr 4 12:31:09 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 19:31:09 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: The Welsh Language Society (long)
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Do any Welsh live under conditions such as the average Akha live?

There is no attempt to say that Welsh people should have to suffer as much as
the Akha do in order to be "endangered" but at the same time you can not
fault the Akha that they suffer very much more.

Why do not more people from this list come and check out what is going on for
the Akha instead of safely criticizing events and conditions that have given
birth to an attempt to popularize their cause and bring them aid and increase
awareness.

The last thing that missions would like to see happen is that the Akha cause
become a world cause and they were no longer "lords" of these poor the so
desperately need in order to have their churches filled.

"Then if someone objected, I could claim that no one
understands the conditions in which the Welsh must live, and suggest that
all of you get out of your ivory towers more."

Maybe they should.

The third world has assisted with academic resources to western Universities
and their personell for many years, does it bother people that their reality
is brought to view.

The bottom line is the gross imbalance where dollars are had and spent.

And no amount of hand wringing will make that go away.

Should the Akha wait for their cracker crumbs from the west?
Should missions with their highly biased agenda be their only help, from
western countries?

What if the Akha beat their drum and say, "We have been studied much and left
to die!"

There will be no falsehood in that, I see it all the time myself.

If you are going to study endangered languages you might get to know the real
conditions of some of the people you study.

Naturally that makes some people feel uncomfortable but you can not blame our
project or the Akha for that.

Matthew McDaniel

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au