ELL: Transparent Language Systems offer and smaller c

endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Apr 9 17:12:40 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
From: MQuinlan at transparent.com
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:12:40 -0500
To: <endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject: Re[2]: ELL: Transparent Language Systems offer and smaller c
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

> Who made your Irish version, Michael? My reason for asking
> is that someone approached me to do so some years back, but
> whether I was too busy, or he was, or what happened I do
> not recall, only that nothing came of it.

A number of translators, annotators, native speakers, peer reviewers etc. were
involved inthe creation of IrishNow!.  We relied heavily on Bord na Gaeilge
(Irish Language Board) in identifying personnel, as well as helping us deal
with
issues of regional variations and determination of "standard" forms. Because
we
were starting mainly with the Bord's rolodex, we probably missed people we
would
have linked up with on our own.

The least controllable factor in assuring the successful completion of our
less-common language projects is the team of linguists and speakers. That's
why
working with a "Cultural Partner" like Bord na Gaeilge works so well. It not
only helps us link up with good people, it also helps those people gain some
confidence about who we are.

In the case of IrishNow!, we unfortuantely cannot get it on the retail shelf
in
the U.S.. It's too "niche-y," for mass market stores. But we hope to generate
enough sales in Ireland itself to make back the costs of the project. Whatever
happens, though, it is a fascinating package, and it got made, which is great.

Regards,
Michael

------------------------
Michael Quinlan