ELL: upcoming federal land turnover to South Dakota involves land belonging to the Lakota nation In-Reply-To: <370F57AD.6E5024AA at indiana.edu> Message-ID: <Pine.GUL.4.10.9904101910220.26299-100000 at coho.halcyon.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au Precedence: bulk Reply-To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Gary Ingle garyi at halcyon.com
Sun Apr 11 02:33:28 UTC 1999

 *** EOOH ***
 Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:33:28 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Gary Ingle <garyi at halcyon.com>
 To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
 Subject: Re: ELL: upcoming federal land turnover to South Dakota involves
  land  belonging to the Lakota nation
  Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

  On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Jeffrey Harlig wrote:

> Although no one in the U.S. would take seriously the claim that our
> intolerance of immigrants, Native Americans, other domestic minority
> groups, and bilingual education (among other things) is parallel to
> the anti-autonomy policies of Milosevic and the actions of Serb forces
> in Kosovo...

Perhaps no one would take seriously the claim that our actions TODAY
are parallel to the actions in Kosovo.  But land grabs, mass movement
of population, massacre of civilians, and attempted genocide have all
been a part of the European response to contact with the native North
Americans at one time or another, and not all in the very distant past,
either.

Gary Ingle
Seattle

----