ELL: Debates on IndigenousWorld at onelist.com

Marion Gunn mgunn at ucd.ie
Thu Apr 15 22:06:47 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:06:47 +0000
From: Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: ELL: Debates on IndigenousWorld at onelist.com
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Fwding this sample of one of the EL debates now in train on
IndigenousWorld at onelist.com
======

From: Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>

The thing to remember is that the stamp of a civilized person is that
he/she never does wrong deliberately. I think that most of the people
you will be addressing desperately want to do the civilized thing.
Reconciling that with making a profit (academic or commercial) is not
always easy (from the point of view of those in those r.les). You are
the one closest to the issue. Find something positive in what they are
doing, and ask them to do more of that. Point to the negative without
condemnation (hate the sin, love the sinner, and all that).

Write down your main points before you stand up to speak, to avoid being
carried away by your emotions (the audience will be made up of different
kinds of people, but you can be certain at least some of them will
belong to these two categories: (a) those who will despise you for
becoming emotional; (b) those who will be scared by it. Those two
negative reactions will not win you allies.

Above all, remind them of the great wealth around them, of which the may
not even be aware (they could be blinded to it by workaholism, or tv
addiction, or whatever). Let them see the beauty of their own country,
and try to see yours.
mg