ELL: Who are the Anishanabe?

John O'Meara jomeara at mist.lakeheadu.ca
Fri Apr 16 02:59:00 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:59:00 -0400
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
From: "John O'Meara" <jomeara at mist.lakeheadu.ca>
Subject: Re: ELL: Who are the Anishanabe?
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Re the following recent posting:

>Another snippet from an IndigenousWorld at onelist.com debate. Can anyone
>on ELL tell me who are the Anishanabe people?

"Anishinaabe" (in a standard spelling) is the self-designation of the
Ojibwe people. Ojibwe is a language of the Algonquian family spoken in
various areas of central and western Canada (primarily the Canadian
provinces of Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan) and several
states in the northern United States (primarily Michigan, Wisconsin, and
Minnesota).

The term Anishinaabe can be translated as: "person, human (in contrast to
non-human beings), Indian (in contrast to non-Indians), Ojibwe" (John D.
Nichols and Earl Nyholm, "A Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe", p. 10,
University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, 1995). Please, no flames about
the translation; the second author of this dictionary is a native speaker
of Ojibwe.

The term 'Ojibwe' is variously spelled in English as Ojibway, Ojibwa,
Chippewa, and no doubt others.

Oren Lyons is, I *believe*, an Onondaga person, Onondaga being a language
of the Iroquoian family spoken (in New York state in the US, and Ontario in
Canada, as I recall).

>[material quoted from Oren Lyons]

John O'Meara
Faculty of Education