ELL: RE: [sovernspeakout] 'Reburial of 500 Huron', evidence of continuing stereotyping

David Harris dharris at LAS-INC.COM
Mon Dec 6 23:08:08 UTC 1999

Mickey:

Interesting note. I wonder what the French and the British might have to say
about your theory of the Zero Plural. Then again, this is a topic that goes
beyond mere ethnic considerations, touching as it does upon both the rich
and the poor, as well. Additionally, it seems to me to be a topic that might
raise the hackles of more than just the ordinarily irate among us. :-)

Dave Harris, Herndon, VA

PS Sorry for the sarcasm. I certainly support most initiatives of this kind,
eg. Native American attempts to get sports teams to quit defiling what is
sacred to them. But I found this particular note particularly silly and
uninformed. I find nothing offensive about the book title quoted here (_The
Jew in American Sports_) because there is nothing resembling dehumanization
or demonization going on there. Using the definite singular or definite
plural form of a noun in this way is a common way to express genericness in
many languages of the world. The two forms _The Jew in American Sports_ and
_Jews in American Sports_ are, at least to my mind, identical in all
respects. That's my take on it, anyway. I'd be interested in hearing other
opinions.