ELL: references on new techs for Endang Langs

Jeff ALLEN jeff at elda.fr
Thu Feb 25 09:22:13 UTC 1999

id RAA20087
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

At 10:08 25/02/99 +1100, you wrote:
>Perhaps some of the citations could be posted on ELL.
>
>The papers may be independent of each other, but I wonder if they
>might have in common that the authors are computing enthusiasts who've
>heard about endangered languages, vs. people grappling with language
>endangerment who've heard about advances in computing/Internet?

A few of us who have worked on papers in the following list are in fact
sociolinguistics, ethnologists, etc who have acquired computational skills in
order to promote and sustain the
languages that are discussed therein.  There are also others in the list that
are general linguists with an interest in endangered languages. Some are
computational linguists who want something new to work on. And then there are
the journalists who move
from one story to another.

I am including all references in my possession that pertain to issues of
language engineering for
neglected/endangered/sparse-data/low-density/minority/lesser-known/lesser-co
mmonly taught languages.  I will let you folks decided which relate to your
specific interests.

Sorry if the formatting isn't perfect.  I copied and pasted the info from
different documents.  No time to clean it up and make it pretty.

Best,

Jeff

--------

Aduriz, Itziar, Izaskun Aldezabal, Olatz Ansa, Xabier Artola, Arantza D.s de
Ilarraza, and Jon Mikel Insausti (1998) EDBL: a Multi-Purposed Lexical Support
for the Treatment of Basque. In Proceedings of the First International
Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 28-30 May 1998, Granada,
Spain.
Vol. 2, pp. 821-826.
ALLEN, Jeffrey. (1999, to be presented) La standardisation par la linguistique
computationnelle.  Paper to be presented at the "L'orthographe: Entre
Mythe et Realite" workshop, 9e Colloque International des
Etudes Creoles in Aix-en-Provence, 24 - 29 June 1999.

ALLEN, Jeffrey. 1998a. Lexical variation in Haitian Creole and orthographic
issues for Machine Translation (MT) and Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
applications. Paper presented at the workshop on Embedded MT systems of the
Association for Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA) conference,
Philadelphia, 28 October 1998.

ALLEN, Jeffrey. 1998b. Intelligence artificielle: apport de la traduction
automatique et le traitement automatique de la parole au cr.le ha.ien.
Seminar and system demonstration presented at the Universit.Cara.e,
Port-au-Prince (Haiti), 28 March 1998.

ALLEN, Jeffrey. 1997. Le cr.le ha.ien au XXIe si.le : nouveaux avancements
en technologies informatis.s.  Paper given at the 'Des Cr.les de la Cara.e'
International Workshop, Duke University, 10-15 September 1997.

Allen, Jeffrey (in preparation) Analyse Phonologique et Graphe'mique du Cr.le
Ha.ien par le Biais de la Linguistique Computationnelle. Groupe d'Etudes
et de
Recherches en Espace Cre'olophone, Universite' des Antilles-Guyane,
Martinique.

ALLEN, Jeffrey and Christopher HOGAN. 1998a.  Expanding lexical coverage of
parallel corpora for the Example-Based Machine Translation approach. In
Proceedings of the First International Conference on Language Resources and
Evaluation, 28-30 May 1998, Granada, Spain. Vol. 2, pp. 747-754.

ALLEN, Jeffrey and Christopher HOGAN. 1998b. Evaluating Haitian Creole
orthographies from a non-literacy-based perspective.  Paper presented at the
annual meeting of the Society for Pidgin and Creole Linguistics, New York
City,
9-10 January 1998.

Allen, Jeffrey and Christopher Hogan (in preparation) Phonemic and
Orthographic
Realization of 'r' and 'w' in Haitian Creole. Paper in preparation for
presention at the 14th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS 99),
San Francisco, 1-7 August 1999.
ALLEN, Jeff and Jocelyne TROUILLOT-LEVY. 1998. Televised interview on
TeleHaiti
on the status of computerized language systems for Creole and standardization
of Haitian Creole. Interview aired 6pm, March 27, 1998 and 6am March 28, 1998,
Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

BAKER, Paul, MCENERY, Tony and Lou BURNARD.  Minority Language Engineering.
ELRA Newsletter. Vol 3 issue 4; November 1998, Paris: European Language
Resources Association. p. 9

BROWN, Ralf (1998) Improving Embedded Machine Translation with User
Interaction.  Paper presented at Workshop on Embedded MT Systems, in
conjunction with the AMTA 98 conference. 28 October 1998, Langhorne,
Pennsylvania.

CAMARA, Emile, NSTADI, Ce'lestin, REY, Ve'ronique, and Jean VERONIS (December
1995) Traitement Informatique des Langues Africaines: Proble`mes et
Perspectives. Action de Recherche Partage'e ALAF (AUPELF-UREF) Document ALAF
ALA1. Version 1.0. http://www.lpl.univ-aix.fr/projects/alaf/ALA1.html

DECROZANT, Lisa and Clare VOSS 1999. Building a "Tri-Text": Steps in the
Conversion of a Hard Copy Document to an On-line Resource.  In ELRA
Newsletter.
Vol 4 issue 1; January 1999, Paris: European Language Resources Association.
[[ pages numbers to be determined the next day or so:  it's about ready to go
out to Press ]]

DECROZANT, Lisa and Clare VOSS (1998)  .ross-Linguistic Resources for MT
Evaluation and Language Training. in Proceedings of the Natural Language
Processing and Industrial Applications Conference (NLP+IA-98), Moncton, New
Brunswick, Canada, August, 1998.

DECROZANT, Lisa and Clare VOSS (1999)  .xtending Use of Linguistic
Resources:
>>From FALCon to STARLing. in Proceedings of the Advanced Information
Processing
and Analysis Systems Group (AIPA-99), Washington, D.C., March 23-24, 1999.
ESKENAZI, Maxine, HOGAN, Christopher, ALLEN, Jeffrey, and Robert FREDERKING.
1997. Issues in database creation : recording new populations, faster and
better
labelling. In Proceedings of Eurospeech97. Vol. 4 :1699-1702. Conference
held in
Rhodes, Greece, 22-25 September 1997.

ESKENAZI, Maxine, HOGAN, Christopher, ALLEN, Jeffrey, and Robert FREDERKING.
1998. Issues in database design: recording and processing speech from new
populations  (poster session). In Proceedings of the First International
Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 28-30 May 1998, Granada,
Spain.
Vol. 2, pp. 1289-1293.

HOGAN, Christopher (1998) Embedded Spelling Correction for OCR with an
Application to Minority Languages. Paper presented at Workshop on Embedded MT
Systems, in conjunction with the AMTA 98 conference. 28 October 1998,
Langhorne, Pennsylvania.

Hogan, Christopher (in preparation) Machine Learning of Natural Language
Morphology from Bilingual Corpora (tentative title). Ph.D. Thesis proposal.
Language Technologies Institute, Carnegie Mellon University.   [[[Chris Hogan
has revised the title: I can't remember off hand what it is. He presented the
thesis proposal in December 1998, after I had cited his proposal draft in my
paper for October 98.  The new title of his thesis might be available at
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~chogan/  or e-mail him at chogan at cs.cmu.edu for updated
info]]]

LENZO, Kevin, HOGAN, Christopher, and Jeffrey ALLEN. 1998.  Rapid-Deployment
Text-to-Speech in the DIPLOMAT System.  Poster presented at the International
Conference on Spoken Language Processing.  30 November - 4 December 1998,
Sydney, Australia.

MASON, Marilyn. (1999, to be presented) "Automated Approach to Haitian Creole
Orthography Conversion:  Can This Methodology Be Adapted to Other Creoles?"
Paper to be presented at the "L'orthographe: Entre Mythe et Realite" workshop,
9e Colloque International des Etudes Creoles in Aix-en-Provence, 24 - 29 June
1999.").

NIRENBURG, Sergei (1998) Project Boas: . Linguist in the Box.as a
Multi-Purpose Language Resource. In Proceedings of the First International
Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 28-30 May 1998, Granada,
Spain.
Vol. 2, pp. 739-746.

PILORGE, Thierry. 1996.  "Faut-il avoir peur de l'anglais?" In Science & Vie,
issue 940, January 1996, pp. 68-69.  [[don't be fooled by the title: part of
the article also indicates how languages other than English can compete
against it in the long term]]

Schlesiger, Chris and Lisa Decrozant. Comparison of Two French OCR
Packages-How
They Handle Haitian Creole Text. Unpublished Technical Report, Army Research
Laboratory, 1998.
SOMERS, Harold.  Language Resources and Minority Languages. In Language Today.
Number 5, 1998.   Nottingham, UK: Language Publications Ltd. pp. 20-24.

----

I will not post the 10-15 or so other non-technology-related papers, theses,
etc that I have written on various French Creoles and their struggle against
French and English in the modern world.  You can ask for that list of
references privately, if you wish.

Jeff

Jeff ALLEN - Directeur Technique
European Language Resources Association (ELRA)  &
European Language Resources Distribution Agency (ELDA)
(Agence Europ.nne de Distribution des Ressources Linguistiques)
55, rue Brillat-Savarin
75013   Paris   FRANCE
Tel: (+33) (0) 1.43.13.33.33 - Fax: (+33) (0) 1.43.13.33.30
mailto:jeff at elda.fr
http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html
----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au