ELL: Akha Weekly Update

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Tue Jun 1 17:11:18 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 17:11:18 +0000
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: Akha Weekly Update
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

The tv is for showing a specific film to the Akha, one which they helped make.
That is all. It takes 30 minutes unless they ask to see it more than once
which
they usually do.

If you are concerned about language I would suggest that you write a letter of
protest to the Maesai Baptist Church which is run by the Chinese and
specificly
forbids the culture of the Akhas if they are to get any kind of aid, and also
as
a part of conversion which that mission is pressuring on village after village
in
this area.

That is a right to language and culture which can be addressed.

I would also like to know, to whom one might complaind when a mission is
specifically forbidding people's culture?

As far as I know there is no body international that holds missions
accountable
for that minor detail.

This seems like a very large hole in the net.

Language and culture are a right, but a right that no current power is willing
enforce.
Wish they would.

Matthew

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
1586 Ewald Ave SE
Salem OR 97302
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transfered to:

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693
Keizer Branch # 1842  04