ELL: definitions for various terms re: minority languages

Marion Gunn mgunn at ucd.ie
Tue Mar 16 18:35:29 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:35:29 +0000
From: Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: definitions for various terms re: minority languages
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Sorry for sending your entire msg (below) back to the list, Jeff, but as
many terms as poss. should be listed together, and you have missed out a
couple.

Because there is so little agreement on the proper terms, it is clear
that many are deeply disliked. Most-hated term among European natives
right now is that once-fashionable label LUL (Lesser-Used Languages) --
which in EU official circles is now read as no more than an extended
anagram of USELESS (to be treated accordingly).

SCL (Smaller Community Languages), SLC (Smaller Linguistic Communities)
and LCL (Less Common Languages) are all terms which are much better
liked, but much less used, if you will pardon that rather pathetic
pun:-(

With best wishes,
Marion Gunn

----