ELL: An open question about conference topics

Nicholas Ostler nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 13:06:54 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:06:54 +0000
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
From: Nicholas Ostler <nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: ELL: An open question about conference topics
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

At 2:57 pm +0000 15/3/99, tsc_msea at SIL.ORG wrote:
>     To: Nicholas Ostler (and other organizers of the FEL conference)
>     From: Tom Tehan (Payap University, Chiangmai Thailand)
>
>     We were writing about about a group of 150,000 people. By most
>     standards this language is not endangered, and probably will not
>     become endangered in the short run. However, the group has undergone a
>     great deal of social upheaval and has taken specific steps to maintain
>     its language and culture.

As far as the Foundation for Endangered Languages is concerned, there is no
numerical cut-off point for language endangerment.  Certain forces tell
against the survival of languages, and of the cultures they underpin, but
those forces don't "kick in" at some magic number of population or
population density.

>     Most of the languages that were talked about at the last FEL
>     conference were quite a bit smaller than this. (Although there was a
>     paper on Flemish, which has 5.6 million speakers in Belgium.)

If that had been true, it would have been purely contingent, though hardly
surprising: after all, languages that are subject to these forces sooner or
later tend to have rather few speakers. But the incidence of these forces
can change, and with them the fortunes of languages.  English, Latin,
Arabic all had periods of threatened existence through close proximity to
larger, more powerful neighbours, and the many imperial languages and
lingue franche of the past (Assyrian, Aramaic, Chinook Jargon, Nahuatl,
Quechua, Coptic) are now endangered or extinct.  Quechua for example still
has several million speakers, but with demographic changes  and population
movements taking place all over its region transmission between generations
may be threatened.  It could "go out like a light".

In fact, looking at the languages represented at our last conference,
besides Flemish we had several European languages with speaker populations
larger than the 150,000 you mention

Slovenian   (2 million)

and in Istria

Albanian
Croatian
Italian
Serbian

all with global speaker populations in the millions, although less than
120,000 (most much less) in the Istrian context that was being addressed.

>     I thought I would submit my question to the whole e-list for
>     discussion because I think many subscribers would have interesting
>     thoughts to add. The question has to do with what is a minority
>     language/group, a vernacular language, a threatened language/group, or
>     an endangered language.

Yes.  But I doubt anything is to be gained, as far as protecting or
promoting endangered languages is concerned, by excluding groups who
consider that their language is under threat.  From a scientific point of
view, I suppose one might want to focus on very small groups for certain
descriptive purposes (e.g. what happens to domains of discourse discussable
in a language when the population speaking it is so small that it ceases to
represent all walks of life?)  But even there, I should have thought that,
in principle, phenomena seen in larger language communities would be
relevant.

>     So finally I come to the question:
>
>     Is it appropriate to address the topic of 'how a minority language
>     community in a situation where language maintenance is not encouraged
>     (in fact, it is actually discouraged) and facing extreme disruption is
>     taking active steps to maintain and promote their own language' at the
>     upcoming FEL conference?

So my answer is,  Yes, without reservation.

Two aspects of our work, after all, as expressed in our manifesto are:
 to lessen the damage:
 .       by emphasizing particular benefits of the diversity still
 remaining; and
 .       by promoting literacy and language maintenance programmes, to
 increase the strength and morale of the users of languages in danger.

Nicholas   Ostler
President
Foundation for Endangered Languages
Registered Charity 1070616