ELL: Minority education project in Northern Thailand

Marion Gunn mgunn at ucd.ie
Thu Mar 18 09:45:41 UTC 1999

id SAA06923
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:45:41 +0100
From: Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>
Subject: Re: ELL: Minority education project in Northern Thailand
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Cc: doc at ite.ie, rhydwen at central.murdoch.edu.au, white.cloud at Bigpond.com
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

>     It would seem that someone from this group would fit in well with the
>     theme of the next FEL Endangered Languages Conference.
>     Tom Tehan, Payap University, Chiangmai Thailand

Only if they are members of _Registered_UK_Charity_FEL_, Tom.
Unfortunately, there will be no guest speakers at their next conference --
Nicholas Ostler and/or Chris Moseley said participation in it is restricted
to registered FEL members _only_ (which pretty well excludes almost
everyone I know).

I am not criticizing FEL for holding a privately funded, closed conference
-- which is good for any local tourist industry! -- but I'd have thought
some of the other organizers (Donncha . Cr.in.n or Mari Rhydwen, for
example) would have favoured an open, pay-in conference. Seems I was wrong
about that.
mg

--
Marion Gunn