No subject

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Fri Mar 19 15:21:24 UTC 1999

			 *** EOOH ***
			 Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:21:24 +0700
			 From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
			 To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au,
			         Douglass Daley <d_ddlay at hotmail.com>
				 Subject: Re: ELL: please provide verifiable
			 information
			 Sender:
			 owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

			 Jeff:

			 I posted today again what I am getting at despite the
			 feeling that
			 people have
			 that it is just so much talk.

			 There are two different issues here that are being
			 confused.

			 1.  One is that SIL told me that the matter of
			 orthography was a very
			 political issue here (especially to people like the
			 American Baptists).
			 John Newman did not tell me why they would not
			 support the project.  He
			 said goodbye.  You sight me for a host of offenses
			 when I don't hear you
			 upset at all about what the missions are doing to the
			 Akha which they
			 would have a very hard time doing in the public lime
			 light.

I have not a lot of funds.

But I seriously believe that what the missions are doing is a human
rights violation, which linguists should be concerned about, and I
struggle to get sufficient resources pulled together to move my
documentation efforts from the field to the western public arena so that
numerous people working on indigenous linguistics to indigenous human
rights, who know what the connection is between endangering a culture
and seeing it loose its language, can join forces with us to see the
practices that evangelical missions are engaged in here, come to an end.

I have far more email supporting my fight for recognition of this
injustice than complaint that I am so verbal.

If I did not continue to fight on the behalf of the Akha would you come
here and replace me?

Print books?

Pay your food money to your writers and go without?

Joking matter?
You come here and try it.

I could use a break.

2. Two is the role of mission organizations in destroying culture.

Both I can prove, both I have video, photographic and written
correspondence for.
I would not have mentioned it had I not proof.

Will the effect of missionaries on the end of indigenous cultures and
languages
be discussed at the upcoming conference?

Would I be mistaken if I were to suggest, that regardless of who I am,
this is
not a subject that many people would find popular?

How many people on this list had plans to come spend a week or month
living in
an Akha village to see the issues related to endangerment first hand?

What kind of sweet talk might I have come up with to get people to come?
Would it have made any difference?

Am I wrong for what I point out?

Ugly facts will never smell good no matter what kind of silver tray you
present them on.

Regarding SIL I have pointed to their connection to mission movements
such as in
the Chiangmai area that are extremely well funded that are part of the
precedent
of wiping out Akha traditional culture.

I can prove that.

What do I want?

I want to see a more clearly spelled out ethic for linguistic work as it
admits
to the rights of the indigenous linguistic community and as it relates
to the
rights of the indigenous linguistic community to share in a proportional
amount
of the wealth gotten from their indigenous knowledge.

Or is anyone saying that no wealth or benefit is gotten from these indigenous
communities, that the playing field is equal, they get exactly as much
as they
give?

Why do you take the position against me for pointing that out?

Why do you fault me for sharing this issue with the indigenous community
on the internet? What, was this suppose to be a nice clean polite issue.
It certainly isn't nice and clean and polite what the missionaries are
doing to the Akha here.

I have stated that endangered peoples have endangered languages, not the other
way around.

Mr. Bradley said that the Akha language was not one of the endangered
languages.

Am I wrong for defending this case?

Am I wrong for saying that people who were in the linguist camp have
stood by
for a very long time while VERY POORLY translated works were foisted on the
Akha?

What is this to you, an academic discussion over tea?

Real peoples lives and the lives of their children are affected by the
way they
are treated about their language.

Was I suppose to kiss up to SIL to get their help?

I protested that the manipulation of the access to the Akha language materials
had been a level of high concern to Akha people here and that the main
missions
working with the Akha had a vested interest in this.

How is this not relevant to linguistics?

You make out as if all my claims are just smoke and that there maybe
isn't even
a real world where real Akha people live.

Do you think there is any shortage of missionaries overrunning the villages
here in northern Thailand and Burma?

There are scores of them.  You can go to that page at Akha.com and find
something on it.

Is not the Bible and the control of the script and what gets published
in it for
who something that some people would very much like to control?

Maybe it would be much more appreciated by people other than the Akha if I
discussed something like tone?

You may not like my tone, as the SIL man said in Chiangmai.
Paul Lewis who I met one time said that it frightened him that someone
as myself who knew nothing of Akha culture would be working with them.
(who knows maybe I would have started a sterilization progrom).
But due to my efforts on the behalf of a people that are raggedly poor
beyond belief, that get incinerated with no one even knowing they died,
that can be found begging all over the country in extreme poverty, I
have fought their name out to thousands of people calling attention to
their incredible plight.

I have spent years up here, with no pay or compensation for this work,
living in poverty so that I could stay on base and keep documenting what
was happening here, and pull together a wide based literacy program.

Several people I know on this list have assisted with this work here.
Some of them know the true conditions here and what is being done to the
Akha and that a big part of the issue is linguistics.

I do not demand that people on this list give to help this work.
So I am not disappointed if they don't.
That is where you have missed me.

What I am after is a call for a change in ethic that will consider the
unequal footing of the endangered language community and for protection
of the indigenous peoples linguistic rights.

When you force people by clever manipulation and slight of hand to
abandon their culture, because as a race you truly believe it to be evil
and inferior, just how much of their language did you wipe out?

Does that political, cultural and racial issue have anything to do with
endangered languages.

I don't hear anyone on this list complaining about how the Klamath
Indians were treated.  But their language is gone?

And I am faulted for the former?

Give me heck, but in the future languages will hopefully be considered
intellectual property right items like computer languages and then
everyone will get to pay and the Akha and who ever else will have the
moneys they need to buy computers.

This is the real issue, who does the mining, and who has the wealth and
money and SIL ain't doin' too bad.

Matthew McDaniel

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

Web Site:
http://www.akha.com
mailto:akha at loxinfo.co.th

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
1586 Ewald Ave SE
Salem OR 97302
USA