ELL: Akha Weekly Update

Trond Trosterud Trond.Trosterud at hum.uit.no
Thu May 20 14:13:14 UTC 1999

id WAA00865
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:13:14 +0200
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
From: Trond Trosterud <Trond.Trosterud at hum.uit.no>
Subject: Re: ELL: Akha Weekly Update
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

>>The Akha Way, the villagers like it, have hauled a tv and the tape out
>>to villages which ask to see it repeatedly.
>
>doesn't watching telly make them unhappy ?

This question is of uttermost importance for the work we all do.

Tha answer is far from both yes and no, and can be reformulated:

What strategies are the best for coping with modern society?

The obvious anser to the telly-sceptic writer I quoted seems to be "reject
modern society". This is a position I find worth serious consideration,
although I would not like to subscribe to it on all points.

The problem is twofold:

a. Modern society does not allow hitherto unassimilated societies to stay
outside it. The very work we listmembers conduct is part of this
assimilation.

b. chance is there that they will stay tuned to the telly after it has been
thrown after them.

I do not have the time to elaborate on this, and theproblem will be
familiar to most of you, anyway, the posting of nEnIu <hiasl at geocities.com>
triggered this short response, reminding us all that our speech shall
neither be yes, yes,  nor no, no.

Trond.

Trond Trosterud                                     t +47 7764 4763
Lingvistisk institutt, Det humanistiske fakultet    h +47 7767 3639
N-9037 Universitetet i Troms. Noreg                f +47 7764 4239
Trond.Trosterud at hum.uit.no  http://www2.isl.uit.no/trond/index.html
Test string-please ignore:....-.....-....-....-........

Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au