No subject

Henry Szymonik heszy at jetcity.com
Mon Oct 4 00:21:11 UTC 1999

		*** EOOH ***
		From: "Henry Szymonik" <heszy at jetcity.com>
		To: <endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au>
		Subject: Re: ELL: Re: Waiver [please disregard previous
		version; it wasn't finished when sent]
		Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:21:11 -0700
		Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

		Matthew was using the logic that since all the missionaries
		he sees that are abusive are white, then all white
		missionaries
		are abusive.

		I don't know why he has seen no black/Hispanic/Native
		American missionaries, but I was saying that Matthew
		should look at other reasons than race.  I gave a possible
		example that perhaps the groups that send missionaries
		to places like Thailand are racist and do not accept
		non-whites in their ranks.   It was just a hypothetical.

		Does anyone have more concrete reasons for why
		Matthew only sees whites?  Perhaps it is something
		as simple as the denominations involved are rooted
		in mostly white areas.  In the U.S., for example, the
		Mormon church is based in Utah, which is 94% white,
		so it makes sense that most Mormons who go abroad
		on mission are white.