ELL: Endangered Languages Debate

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Mon Oct 4 14:54:29 UTC 1999

    *** EOOH ***
    Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 21:54:29 +0700
    From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
    To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
    Subject: Re: ELL: Endangered Languages Debate
    Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

    In reference to Paulina's statement.

    This isn't about making Akha's into victims, it is about ethics.

    I think we are too ready to excuse reckless and slobbish behavior on the
    part
    of missionaries.

    Because they can get away with it and play to internal dissent is no
    excuse.

    I know of many cases, I will site one.

    A catholic village, fifteen years converted.  Ok, some of the traditions
    are
    gone, but certainly not scorched earth protestant style.  The catechist
    dies.  There is some power dispute, little or great, I nor translators
    with
    better language skill could not find out without going into it more, but
    there was some power dispute.  One village man invited a roving missionary
    come to his side with some kind of project.  Now this is where ethic comes
    in.  The missionary could have refused this offer under the conditions or
    certainly if accepted, have packaged it is such a way as to not make a
    situation that had instability worse.  But he did not.  He came to the
    village, didn't bother to talk to the regional priest to find out what was
    going on and built an enormous church compound square in the middle of the
    village a great expense, making that half of the village protestant.
    Whatever differences the village had, as one family, they were certainly
    not
    as great as he then made them.  what had been a village matter now had
    people
    coming in from outside pulling to this side and that, previously not the
    case.  To say nothing of the fact that the enormous church which can be
    easily spotted from half a kilometer away in a small village of bamboo
    huts,
    nearly two stories tall was totally inappropriate.

    One can always justify their actions for gain in the community, but it
    does
    not justify the increased division that these people sew to in the
    communities, which in itself is a contradiction with their stated creed of
    unity.

    This village could have easily been encouraged to resolve whatever
    disputes,
    but the matter seemed to rely heavy in the financial gains that the new
    pastor would get and the benefits to that part of the village.  You can
    not
    have the event without the foreign pastors playing it for all its worth,
    in
    this case a man from Australia.  In the west we have laws to protect
    people
    and their environments from this sort of thing, if not, it sure slows it
    down
    and gives people a collective forum.  The catholic side of the village
    said
    that wether they agreed with it or not, did not matter because the
    missionary
    had lots of money and could do what he wanted.

    So on one hand we can wash our hands of it, all this religious bullying,
    but
    in reality we know quite full that many less impoverished communities
    would
    not put up with this.  But then isn't divide and conquer a long tradition
    of
    invaders?

    Matthew

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
(Preferred)

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693