ELL: New SIL Alias

Bill Poser Bill_Poser at bc.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 22 06:29:41 UTC 1999

<37E7BB48.D08D287A at bc.sympatico.ca> <37E81D68.3F5C at chass.utoronto.ca>
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:29:41 -0700
From: Bill Poser <Bill_Poser at bc.sympatico.ca>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: New SIL Alias
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

I am stunned at the idea that asking for evidence is excessively
"technical", as J. Diego Quesada suggests. Surely one does not make
accusations, much less take action, on the basis of pure speculation.
Now, if the New Tribes Mission is engaged in nefarious activity, which
would certainly be consistent with reports I have heard, it should be
condemned and if possible countered. But in the absence of any reason to
believe the NTM and the SIL to be the same organization there can be no
basis for the accusation that the SIL is using an alias.

The example of the fascist coup in Chile in 1973 is irrelevant. There
was clear evidence that it was an anti-democratic coup, and that, and
the subsequent behaviour of the Pinochet regime, provided an ample basis
for opposition to the regime. There was plenty of evidence.

Bill Poser
----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au