ELL: Do not be fooled by the alphabet soup - New SIL alias

endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Sep 23 02:09:50 UTC 1999

*** EOOH ***
From: maia at acd.ufrj.br (Marcus Antonio Rezende Maia)
Subject: ELL: Do not be fooled by the alphabet soup - New SIL alias
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:09:50 -0300 (GRNLNDST)
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

 Hi, Diego,
 Sorry, I have nothing else to say about the obvious: The truth is SIL and NTM
 are not the same organization and yet they share pretty much the same
 goals. Years ago I was in a federal committee who investigated missionary
 agencies in Brazil. We amassed lots of evidence of all kinds about the
 purposes and actions of these organizations in Brazil. Reports were written,
 even audiences in the National Congress were staged and yet no positive
 action was taken as usual. Again, Chomsky seems to be right: how come we know
 so little if we have so much evidence? Orwell's problem.  I couldsend you a
 list with over 100 entries, but maybe people should read a more recent book
 published by respected investigative journalists Gerard Colby and Charlotte
 Dennett in 1995: "Thy Will Be Done - The conquest of the Amazon: Nelson
 Rockefeller and Evangelism in the Age of Oil". Linguists would surely advance
 if they ceased to be fooled by the alphabet soup...
 Best,
 Marcus Maia
 ----
 Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au