ELL: New SIL Alias

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Mon Sep 27 19:02:08 UTC 1999

	     *** EOOH ***
	     Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:02:08 +0700
	     From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
	     To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
	     Subject: Re: ELL: New SIL Alias
	     Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

	     Now Marion, that would be a new take.  Can you imagine a mission
	     with
	     attatched linguist putting up a sign on that big new church in a
	     village
	     which just divided over the issue, posting all the things that
	     were about to
	     happen to their culture like the neutron bomb effect?

	     "Hi, I am from the mission, I am here to make you like me and
	     destroy you
	     culture which has you bound in darkness and bondage."

	     (no this wasn't a conversation in a back alley in USA)

	     But hey, if they had the guts to do that, I would have to offer
	     them some
	     kind of credit.

	     Matthew

	     Marion Gunn wrote:

> Ar 3:03 pm +0200 1999-09-21, scr.obh Trond Trosterud:
> >I am an atheist, and consider all religious belief as varieties of
> >believing in Winnie-the-Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, and the like.
> >But I also know that religious people cannot be rescued from their
> >respective paradises.
>
> Dear Trond! People (religious and non-), are rescued from their respective
> paradises every day, and it is often good, clean fun just trying to do
> so.:-)
>
> >Trond Trosterud
>
> I'm happy to believe that most ELL subscribers silent so far on this topic
> would agree that it is important to ensure trading in
> religions/politics/linguistics (or any combination of the three) at least
> be an honest trade henceforward, and if the move to that begins with
> linguistics, that will be good for linguistics.
> mg
>
> --
> Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>
>
> ----
> Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
> Web pages http://carmen.murdoch.edu.au/lists/endangered-languages-l/

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation
386/3 Sailom Joi Rd
Maesai, Chiangrai, 57130
Thailand
Mobile Phone Number:  Sometimes hard to reach while in Mountains.
66-01-881-9288

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
(Preferred)

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693