No subject

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Tue Sep 28 17:53:13 UTC 1999

				*** EOOH ***
				carmen.murdoch.edu.au: majodomo set sender to
				owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
				using -f
				Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:53:13 +0700
				From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
				To: Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>,
				        Endangered Languages Linguist list
					 <endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au>,
					         "sovernspeakout at egroups.com"
				<sovernspeakout at egroups.com>,
				        Indigenous
				<IndigenousWorld at onelist.com>
				Subject: Re: terrorist statements (was Re:
				ELL: new name)
				Sender:
				owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

				Jeff:

				Then you have described what is the exact
				racial difference about what white
				people find it is just ok to do to people.

				For one thing, I do not think that the bombing
				of a church is the same thing as
				destroying it.

				If you drive your truck off the road in a
				drunk, and hit the church, you have
				destroyed it.
				That is not a terrorist act.

				Maybe you prefer the notation "dismantle".

				Have it as you will.  The subject is
				endangered languages.
				Religious fanatics from America and Australia
				and a few other places would come
				to an Akha village and force the building of a
				church on the village against the
				will of many of the villagers.  If at some
				point in this dispute the church under
				construction or constructed church is torn
				down, the church is then "destroyed"
				is it not?

				How would you call it?

But are you of the opinion that forcing churches into villages NOW in Thailand
is
not an act of white terrorism if we are to follow your standards?  The Akha
should allow the missionaries to force the construction of a church in a
dispute
that they have caused in a village but the majority of the villagers should
not
be allowed to tear it down or they are "terrorists".

I would advise that you encounter the realities of what these people are doing
innocent indigenous peoples before you suggest that the tearing down of a
church
is always terrorist activity.

This is a very serious problem related to language and cultural destruction.
have the guts to call it.

If you build a building in Bangkok and ask for a permit to build it to six
stories and then you build it to ten the Bangkok metropolitan authority will
force you to "destroy" the top four stories of your building.  This is not
state
terrorism either.  These churches are almost all built without building
permits,
without environmental impact or cultural impact studies nor any consideration
of
the humans involved.

Dismantle the church if you will, but there are many cases where they should
go
and must.  If you would like to come here to visit you may.

But your email also suggests that the Church should be forceably defended to
impose its will on all peoples around the world by every police organization
that
you mention with no mention of the rights of the people you mention.

I still say that there are numerous Akha villages where the churches have been
built illegally under any possible twisting of human consideration and they
should be removed.  Call it what you want.  Violations of the UN laws on human
rights should be enforced before buildings of white Christian mission
organizations should be protected from dismantling.

But this email shows clearly that you would defend the right of Americans to
continue to forcibly colonize indigenous peoples with their missions and that
basically the missions and the military should be defended as the same.  The
wolf
really does come out of the clothes.

Or what would you suggest, we build two churches where there is now one?
They do that here too.

We have long accused the missionaries of ethics violations in being linked to
or
working for the CIA.
Your thesis would reinforce this matter to most.

Please give me a better word to use for taking all the blocks down that are
cemented together that make up a church that was built to divide a village
that
has fourty huts, by building it in the very center of that small village,
almost
two stories tall?

Your choice of terms regarding this matter suggest just how non academicly
rigorous the thinking is here.

What might you suggest the Akha do to defend themselves?

But do you protest the daily demolition of Palestinian homes in their own west
bank as vehemently, and that has been there a long time.

Some of us are willing to take a stand against the abuse of people and their
language no matter who is doing it.

Matthew McDaniel

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
(Preferred)

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693