ELL: Re(2): UNESCO/ICSU and biocultural diversity

subscriptions subscriptions at WIGSAT.ORG
Wed Jan 19 01:33:30 UTC 2000

Hello, I'm a bit late in adding to this discussion, but I would also like
to mention the work of the gender advocacy group at the World Conference
on Science in Budapest, which worked hard at and was very successful in
getting references made to women's activities and contributions -
including the value of traditional knowledge.  The groups involved were
UNIFEM, the Once and Future Action Network, the Gender Advisory Board of
the UN Commission on Science and Technology for Development and Women in
Global Science and Technology.  The latter group was responsible for the
phrase "...fully recognize the contribution of women as repositories of a
large part of traditional knowledge."  I can say this because we
contributed that line to the UNIFEM/UNESCO contributed document revisions.

For more information on gender activities in S&T and indigenous knowledge,
I invite you to visit our web sites at:

www.wigsat.org/ofan/ofan.html
www.wigsat.org
http://gab.wigsat.org