ELL: A study on Endangered Languages in Zambia

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Jun 26 10:30:06 UTC 2000

At 12:31 pm +0800 26/6/00, Bowanda wrote:
>We are conducting a study on endangered languages in Zambia and will be
>finishing phase 1 of the study, listing the 10 languages most in danger and
>carrying out an in depth study of one, soon. We have just subscribed to you
>forum and hope to be able to send a contribution in due course. Meanwhile
>any information that any one may have on endangered languages in Zambia or
>the Southern African region would be welcome.
>
>Chitembo

Are you aware of the message we sent out on 31 January this year:

From: Nicholas Ostler <nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk>
Subject: FEL: Malawi "Towards a National  Language Policy in Education"
Bcc: FEL
Dr  Joachim Friedrich Pfaffe writes:

>Malawi is approaching a positive decision regarding mother  tongue
>instruction in Primary Schools, and the German Technical
>Co-operation  Agency GTZ has just completed a publication entitled
>"Towards a National  Language Policy in Education", being the
>proceedings of the First National  Symposium on Language Policy
>Formulation. It focusses on the Malawian languages  Chiyao,
>Chitumbuka, Chilomwe and Chisena.
>Another publication  available is a sociolinguistic survey which
>gives interesting insights into the  interdependences of linguistics
>and education within the Malawian context. This  publication is also
>available free of charge to any FEL member requesting  it.
>
>Feedback on the publications  would be very welcome! Ê

Any interested member of FEL can  receive a copy free of charge by
sending an email with  postal address  details to:
<miitep at malawi.net>

It may be too late to get these free copies now.  But I have a
surplus copy of each of the publications which I could send you (free
of charge) if you would like.

                        Nicholas   Ostler
                            President
               Foundation for Endangered Languages