ELL: Re: RE: Belorussian

Maximilian Hartmuth maximilian.hartmuth at GMX.NET
Fri Jun 30 20:17:38 UTC 2000

Hi David,

Interesting Topic, since this is no "exotic"-language, but the
state-language of a not so far-away country.

> I don't know much about the details of language use in Byelorussia, but
if
> the situation there is anything like that of other CIS countries,

No, the Situation differs very much. Russian is very frequent with the
non-russian ethnic groups,... maybe in Kazakhstan and especially in the
Ukraine, for Instance, but in most other CIS-Countries a very low
percentage of the non-Russians is more fluent in Russian than than in its
native Language.

Somewhere on the "Peoples´ site" (i can look it up, if you wish), a young
belarussian girl writes about her homeland, and that it`s a fact that the
belarussian language survived better in Poland (where there`s a belarussion
minority of.... some 250.000), than in Belarus itself.

Of all Nations that lived within the USSR, the belarussian is said to be
the only one, that would have voluntarily accepted to be absorbed within
the russian nation.

Best Regards,
maximilian hartmuth,
vienna.