ELL: Odp: polyglottes

Piotr Koz³owski koira at POCZTA.ONET.PL
Wed Apr 18 13:30:17 UTC 2001

>   Un message de Perpignan et Toulouse (relayé par Nantes !) (France) :
> How did you say : " We are all polyglot " in your language ?

Polish:
My wszyscy jestesmy poliglotami.

or, without the pronoun:
Wszyscy jestesmy poliglotami.  - This one sounds better.

In case you had problems with the Polish font "s" should look like an "s"
with an acute accent over it.

Another languages (I warn you I'm not 100% fluent in any of these - any
corrections are welcome)

Italian:
Noi tutti siamo poliglotti.

Finnish (but not the end ;-))
Me kaikki olemme polyglotteja.

And two more:
Persian (fArsi):
MA hame olamA'-e chand zabAne hastim.

Georgian:
Chven qvela mravali enis mcodneebi vart.

In both of these languages the word for "polyglot" doesn't exist (as far as
I know, at least :). Instead an expression "expert at many languages" is
used.
Interesting thing is that while Georgian uses "mravali"-"numerous, many" in
Persian the word "chand", which means "a few" is used.

Best regards,
Piotr Kozlowski
koira at poczta.onet.pl

Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au