ELL: polyglottes

Mitsuru Sakitani sacmit at IVY.OR.JP
Thu Apr 19 15:30:15 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues,

Oebel's Japanese translation is quite strange and eccentric for me.
Correcting it, I will also add some other Japanese-Ryukyuan translations of
"Nous sommes tous des polyglottes".
(In fact, the Japanese language family consists of different languages, some
of which are mutually unintelligible.)

1. Japanese (= Tokyo dialect of East Japanese = Common Japanese):
"Watashi-tachi wa mina ta-gengo o shiyoo shi-masu."

2. Kyoto Kinkian (= Kyoto dialect of Central Japanese):
"Uchí-ra dare káte gyoosân no kotóba tsukáun ya shí."

3. Kesenese Tohokuan (= Kesen dialect of North-East Japanese):
"Oràá-do minna yogéè kodobáá hanasú bea."

4. Nagasakian West Kyushuan (= Nagasaki dialect of West Kyushuan =
Westernmost Japanese):
"Oy-tati wà day-dèn yosó n kotoba mò syabériyor bay."

5. Shurian South Okinawan Ryukyuan (= Shuri dialect of South Okinawan of
Northern Ryukyuan = Common Ryukyuan):
"Wattaa muru ippee kutuba hanasyabiin doo."

The current speakers of Tohokuan, West Kyushuan and Ryukyuan are suggested
to be traced back to the indigenous peoples in Japanese archipelago by means
of phylogenetic analyses of human genomic and viral DNA's.