ELL: Gaelic and the Commission for Racial Equality

David Wilson djj.wilson at VIRGIN.NET
Tue Jul 10 18:51:00 UTC 2001

Matthew McDaniel wrote;

> Imagine what people of dark skin and aboriginal race must feel like
concerning
> such similar behaviour against their language with not near the tools to
fight
> it with.

    Yes, in some ways it might appear insignificant in comparison to some of
the more overt ethnic and linguistic cleansing that's still occuring across
the world, although, it has to be said, it's no less important to those who
are experiencing it. What's happening with the Akha is an example of just
how ruthless and systematic these things can be, and how difficult it can be
to get redress, especially when it's hidden under deceptive titles such as
"resettlement", "education", "progress" or "religious convertion". However,
Gaelic experienced similar things in the past, just managing to survive
things like the Highland Clearances. As we've seen, those who perpetrate
language murder are no respecters of time or place, skin colour and race,
and we have to combat them with whatever means are available to us in the
situation we find ourselves in. What we're seeing today with Gaelic is the
last dying embers of that historical hostilty being redressed through legal
means, which, no doubt about it, we're lucky to have.

> Yes, is rather discouraging.

    On the contrary, I think it gives us some hope. Gaelic has been pulled
back from the brink of extinction and is now making slow but sure advances.
Your own work with the Akha is highlighting the issues around the world and
many are taking action (I sent a letter just the other day to the Maesai
Church). One thing I've noticed when campaigning for Gaelic, is that the
perpetrators start to behave differently when they know their actions are
being watched and monitored. And international pressure does have an effect,
even if it seems painfully slow at times. Keep the faith ;-)

sonas is adh ort,
David Wilson.

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au