ELL: language rights are human rights - reaction from Scotland

Inge Genee inge.genee at ULETH.CA
Tue Jul 10 19:27:24 UTC 2001

Enclosed is my email about the Gaelic Language issue in Scotland, which
I sent to the people most directly connected to the issue. Also enclosed
is their reaction. I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to
answer me.
But now I have a problem: Have I sent out my communication based on
erroneous information, as the reaction claims? If this is the case, I
would like to ask people who ask listmembers to spend time and energy
advocating the cause of endangered languages by sending out letters or
emails to involved parties to make very sure that they are putting out
reliable information. I do not like making a fool of myself getting
involved in such cases based on the wrong information and I do not like
wasting my time.
I have no idea what is behind all this or who is telling the "truth",
but I guess I have learned my lesson and will be more careful in future.

Inge Genee, PhD
Department of Modern Languages
University of Lethbridge
Alberta, Canada