ELL: Re: language rights are human rights - reaction from Scotland

David Wilson djj.wilson at VIRGIN.NET
Tue Jul 10 21:31:52 UTC 2001

Dear Igne Genee and other List members,

    Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to write to Highland
Council.

    Igne - you haven't made a fool of yourself. Neither have you been fed
eroneous information. As many of us familiar with campaigning know, the
council is simply playing games. Let me state again; NO Gaelic speaker has
been found for the position and a photograph of the new Child Care Team was
published recently in the Highland Press recently, in which there was NO
Gaelic speaker. That is a fact.

    What will be held in mid-August is a review. AND IT IS PRECISELY THIS
REVIEW THAT WE HOPE TO INFLUENCE. Their recent change of tactic and
softening of position, as revealed in their letter to you, shows that this
is beginning to happen. Your email, and others like it, will help to
persuade Highland Council that it needs a Gaelic speaker in its Child Care
Team. Our aim isn't to "scold" the council to relieve our own frustrations,
but to persuade them to change their stance, so that the children, parents
and staff will have the appropriate education officer to meet their
linguistic needs. Hopefully, the outcome will be a favourable one

    I am very sorry that you feel so indignant and hurt and have seen fit to
post this to the list. But you seem to have learnt the wrong lesson here.

    Thanks again to all those who have helped in this campaign. It's much
appreciated.

Best Regards,

David Wilson

----