ELL: "Best Practice"

David Wilson djj.wilson at VIRGIN.NET
Fri Jul 13 00:40:59 UTC 2001

A Chairdean (Friends),

    When campaigning for endangered languages, many of us will have
experienced institutional opposition of one kind or another. I was
wondering; what strategies have some of you have developed and found to be
the most effective ?

    Depending on the circumstances, my own initial "tactic" is to go in
quite strongly. Then, having "kicked up some dust", smooth things out, and
enter, if possible, into dialogue with those involved. I believe that this
dialogue is, or should be, the most important part of the process, since
this is where *real* communication occurs. Is it enough simply to "coerce"
people in positions of power into making "laws" ? Maybe ! But I feel it's
also important, especially in the medium and long-term, that those in
positions of power and responsibility begin to view endangered and minority
languages in different ways as well. How, for example, do we persuade some
people that a language group isn't a threat to "national unity" or their own
identity ? How do we show them, without causing offence, if possible, that
their prejudices and hostility are unreasonable ? And what are the best ways
of conveying ideas they can understand and use to help promote a culture of
tolerance and understanding ?

    I would be very interested to hear the experiences of others and hope
that we might be able to find a kind of "Best Practice" in these situations.

sonas is adh ort (success / prosperity to you)

David Wilson.

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au