ELL: Re: Copyright vs Evidence of Hate Literature Against the Indigenous

Lucas Husgen lhusgen at KIROGI.DEMON.NL
Tue Jul 24 08:11:39 UTC 2001

Let me recommend to you to send this message to webmaster at freeexpression.org , Free Expression Network being an organisation to take a stand against any violation of the right to free speech in any direction.

Lucas Husgen

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matthew McDaniel
  To: akha at akha.org
  Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 7:55 AM
  Subject: ELL: Copyright vs Evidence of Hate Literature Against the Indigenous

  Dear Friends of the Akha And All Indigenous Peoples:
  Today I was notified by Ronald Rockney of the Jack Chick Tract and Publishing company that we are in violation of copy right law and must take down our copies of the racist tract called "The True Path" which we have shown on our web site as a case of "hate" literature.

  We have been informed by the site administrator that we must take down the pictures of the Jack Chick publication in question. "The True Path" portrayed American Indians and indigenous peoples as smelly, dirty, drunkards headed for hell.

  We have done so.

  We have replaced the page with a edited version, without the pictures.

  http://www.akha.org/jackchick.htm

  We are checking what legal options we can persue regarding Jack Chick and his pubication.

  But let us look at what is going on here.

  Jack Chick publications is using copyright law to protect publicity from occuring via the web as to the offensive nature of the material they are publishing, which could very easily be classified as hate literature.

  This is Ronald's email address.  His original email is below, as well as also now posted on the web page.

  Ronald Rockney <rockney at chick.com>

  He is not at all concerned about the REASON we have posted this little publication to our web site.

  This, my friends is religious fascism at its best.

  We need to explain to both Ronald and the indigenous community what this is about, that these sort of things are central to the indigenous cause, not side shows.  That these racist blocks in the wall are what give people permission to oppose the indigenous.

  At any rate, consider very seriously that these publications up on the website
  were there as evidence of what is being done to the indigenous, and these
  racist evangelicals believe that if they enforce the white copyright laws then
  they also effectively hide the evidence.

  I welcome your input into this matter.

  It has been suggested that we can put together a class action lawsuit against Chick Publications, if anyone has comments on this.  It would also require that they formally recall the tract, that they make public broadcast and printed apologies in some major media to the Native Nations for this portrayal.

  At least write this fellow below and give him a piece of your mind.

  I believe there are other locations where someone has posted this literature.  Please contact me.

  Matthew

  Ronald Rockney wrote:

  > Dear Mr. McDaniel,
  >
  > I have just been made aware of the existence of images copyrighted by Jack
  > T. Chick which are being displayed on your website, on page
  > http://www.akha.org/jackchick.htm.  Chick Publications is the exclusive
  > licensed publisher for Mr. Chick's work.  Our licensing agreement requires
  > us to defend his copyright, and we will do so.
  >
  > I must ask you to remove the images you are displaying from his tract, "The
  > True Path" from your website.  You are welcome to comment on the tract, and
  > can link to it on our site it you wish, but it is not permissible to serve
  > it up on your own website.
  >
  > I would appreciate hearing from you soon, and thank you in advance for your
  > cooperation.
  >
  > Sincerely,
  >
  > Ronald Rockney, Treasurer
  > Chick Publications, Inc.

  by Jack Chick
   Email: questions at chick.com

  Biography of Jack Chick
  http://www.chick.com/information/authors/chick.asp

   Chick tracks: This Was Your Life
   http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

  Contact Chick Publications
  http://www.chick.com/contacts.asp
  Suggestions Email:
  webmaster at chick.com

   Chick Publications
   P.O. Box 3500
   Ontario, Calif.
   91761-1019

   (909) 987-0771 Ph.
   (909) 941-8128 Fax

  --

  Join The Growing International Effort To Protect The Akha
  Sign The Petition To The Thai Government

  http://www.akha.org

  Donations:
  PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=akha%40loxinfo.co.th

  Credit Card Donation Site:
  http://www.drugwar.com/store/proddetail.cfm?ItemID=12&CategoryID=6

  Your donation goes to infant care, vitamins, medical supplies, wells, bread and fish for the villages.

  Donations by check or money order may be sent to:
  The Akha Heritage Foundation
  PO BOX 6073
  Salem OR 97304  USA