ELL: Re: indigenous

Tasaku Tsunoda tsunoda at TOOYOO.L.U-TOKYO.AC.JP
Thu Jun 21 00:26:51 UTC 2001

At 4:14 PM -0700 01.6.20, Victor Golla wrote:
>6/20/2001
>

>If we linguists were as sensitive to language use as we are
>to structure, we would probably long since have replaced
>"indigenous" with "pre-European expansion", which is what we
>usually really mean.  Guarani and Cherokee are certainly that,
>whatever the blood quantum of their speakers or the sacredness
>of the soil they are spoken on.

    I think the term 'pre-European expansion' is not sufficient. Consider,
for example, the Ainu language of Japan.

Tasaku Tsunoda
--

Tasaku Tsunoda
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology

Phone:  +81-3-5841-3790
Fax:     +81-3-5803-2784
----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au